Contact us Follow @BCInfoPrivacy LinkedIn RSS
Advanced Search


Requesting records from a "public body"

The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) gives you the right to request records held by "public bodies" including Ministries, local governments, municipal police forces, and crown corporations. You can request records that contain your own personal information, or records such as reports, audits, and financial information of the public body.

Make your request for records in writing. Be as specific as possible. Deliver your request directly to that public body or organization. Keep a copy for your records.

The Ministry of Citizens' Services and Open Government has PDF-fillable forms you can use to make your request for records. Visit their website to learn more. Once you have completed your request for records, you can mail it to the public body using the Ministry's online directory.

Requesting records from a "private organization"

The Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA) gives you the right to request access to your own personal information in the custody or control of a private sector organization including corporations, non-profit societies, and professional associations.

You must put your request in writing and send it to the organization that has the records in question. The OIPC has a form with instructions to help you request records.

Making a Complaint or Requesting a Review

If you have a complaint, the first step is to make your complaint to the public body or private organization in writing in an attempt to resolve your issue. The OIPC has sample complaint forms with instructions to help you through this process.

If after taking this step you are still not satisfied with the public body or private organization's response, you can write to our office and make a complaint. Click here to read more about complaints, our process and what to expect after making a complaint.

If you requested records from a "public body" or "organization" and they did not respond to your request within 30 business days, or if you disagree with how the public body or organization has severed the records, you can request a review by our office. You have 30 business days to request a review by our office, starting from the date the public body or private organization responded to your request for records. Click here to read more about how to request a review.

If you are requesting a review or making a complaint to the OIPC on behalf of another individual, you must provide our office with your authority to do so. You can do this by providing proof of your authority under Regulation 4 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act Regulation, or Regulation 2 of the Personal Information Protection Act Regulation at the time of your request or complaint. Alternatively, you may submit a consent form signed by the applicant that permits the OIPC to disclose information, including personal information of the applicant, in relation to a particular review or complaint.

Request for Spoken Language Interpretation Services

Language Requested
Email address